happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Friday, October 27, 2006

The Bacon Debate

Sometime last week I put up a post about yet another household debate, but then took it down after only a couple minutes because it seemed stupid. Not because I thought I had already lost, but because it is a long story, and there's no way to explain it without telling you who is on what side. I think Mike was the only one who saw it, and I thought no one had saw it, because really it was up there less than a half hour. Since then I have thought about the debate, and have explained it to a couple people, and I have deemed it worthwhile to try to explain again. By the way, the last household debate about the energizer bunny still needs to be solved; scroll down, and then comment.

The discussion went like this:

I made a soup out of a bone from the beef from the farm. The bone had some meat around it, and after cooking it, I smeared the marrow onto a piece of bread. I offered John some, and he declined because he thought eating bone marrow was gross. I said it was one of the best tasting things around. John said it couldn't taste better than bacon. I then said that marrow is a natural product, and bacon is not a natural product. This is where the heart of the debate lies. John says that fire is natural and smoking the part of the pig that makes bacon is natural and therefore bacon is just as if not more of a natural product than marrow. I say that smoking meat is a man made process, therefore, bacon is not a natural product. John says that fire is natural, it occurs in nature by lightning. I say that fire, in the sense of fire used to smoke meat, is man made. He is flabbergasted with the fact that I said fire is man made.

So what do you think?


ummm.... can you repeat the question?

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 10:03 AM, October 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just my opinion, but the bone marrow is "cooked" and the bacon is "smoked" so what's the difference? By the way, marrow bread really is good; I would say it's better than bacon.

    Christy

     
  • At 10:16 AM, October 27, 2006, Blogger happylaney said…

    Ah hah! One for me!!!

    The bacon is smoked and then cooked (fried.) That is two steps. The bone marrow is only cooked once.

     
  • At 10:13 AM, October 28, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Misleading statements abound in the presentation of this debate.
    First of all, I stated that I thought that eating the marrow was not good for you. "Happylaney," if that is your real name, respond "How can it be bad for you? It is a natural product?" I responded that just because it is a natural product doesn't mean it is good for you, for example, bacon. The true discussion lies in the defination of "natural product." I contend that bacon, made from pork-a natural product, is made by applying smoke, a natural product also occuring in nature to the already nature-made pork. Then applying further heat to fry the said bacon. I offer as evidence the Coleman Natural line of foods offered by the The Fort Trading Company, which lists bacon as, and I quote,
    "1 - 1/4 Boneless Natural Smoked Uncured Ham (approx. 1.5lb) 1 - Package Fully-cooked Organic Chicken Apple Sausage (9oz pkg) 1 - Package Uncured Hickory Smoked Sliced Bacon (12oz pkg) Coleman Natural Products - No Antibiotics, EVER, No Preservatives, EVER, No Added Hormones, EVER, Always Vegetarian Fed. "

    Christy said that there is no difference between marrow and bacon, so how is that one for you? I'm not debating the taste characteristics of marrow vs. bacon.

    My opponent has no leg to stand upon, and she knows it. The most outragous statement in this whole discussion is "Fire is man made." I propose this case be dismissed, as clearly, my opponent is just making things up.

     
  • At 9:26 PM, October 29, 2006, Blogger Michael said…

    I have taken these things and pondered them in my heart...

    I would have to say that cooking something does not make it an "unnatural" product, nor a "manmade" product. If that were the case, then a natural diet would only consist of raw things we find on the ground, or hanging from trees. There is much more to life than that.

    I will honestly say that I have never heard of anyone eating bone marrow. Never. And I have not necessarily lived a sheltered life. That just sounds gross.

    As to the natural occurrance of fire and smoke...I believe it is always said that fire was "discovered" not "invented."

    I'm not sure that this has answered the debate, but I do know this: I would rather eat bacon than eat the inside of a bone...





    Acknowledged.

     
  • At 1:56 AM, October 30, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    More evidence for John.

    In the movie "Pulp Fiction"
    Vincent: Want some bacon?
    Jules: No man, I don't eat pork.
    Vincent: Are you Jewish?
    Jules: Nah, I ain't Jewish, I just don't dig on swine, that's all.
    Vincent: Why not?
    Jules: Pigs are filthy animals. I don't eat filthy animals.
    Vincent: Bacon tastes gooood. Pork chops taste gooood.
    Jules: Hey, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'd never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker. Pigs sleep and root in shit. That's a filthy animal. I ain't eat nothin' that ain't got enough sense enough to disregard its own faeces.
    Vincent: How about a dog? Dogs eats its own feces.
    Jules: I don't eat dog either.
    Vincent: Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal?
    Jules: I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.
    Vincent: Ah, so by that rationale, if a pig had a better personality, he would cease to be a filthy animal. Is that true?
    Jules: Well we'd have to be talkin' about one charmin' motherfuckin' pig. I mean he'd have to be ten times more charmin' than that Arnold on Green Acres, you know what I'm sayin'?

    Bacon is Natural.

     
  • At 7:56 AM, October 30, 2006, Blogger happylaney said…

    How is that more evidence for John?

     
  • At 4:01 PM, October 31, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my goodness, I've missed a bunch here. I've never eaten bone marrow that I'm aware of, unless you count the fish bones I've accidently swallowed (ouch, then regretted) over the years. I have no idea if it is more or less natural or healthy than bacon. On the health aspect though, bacon is awefully fatty. But that IS what makes it taste good, smoke or no smoke.

    Now the extra question: was the fire used to smoke the bacon started by a lightning bolt or some other act of god? Or did someone use a match?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home