happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Monday, March 10, 2008

Namesake


John is very picky about names, and it took us a long time to pick out and agree on Cecilia's name. John didn't want a name that ends in the "eee" sound, so no Susie or Katie. He thinks it rhymes too much or something (who knows what he's thinking.) He also hates many names because of former students that he didn't care for, and after 9 years of teaching public high school, there are many names that he crosses off the list for this reason. I will have to admit Cecilia has always been one of my favorite names, so much so that Becky knew what it was before I told her. I love love love old names that you have heard before but aren't that common anymore. For example, I really like the name Opal, but John put the smack down on that name. =( I think my love of the name Cecilia came from the Simon and Garfunkel song. It just rings in your ear, and plays over and over in my mind, and just sounds so unlike any other song on the radio, with the drums, and the mostly acoustic sound to it. Also, St. Cecilia is the patron saint of music, which ties in so perfectly to John and I's life and priorities, what with him being a band teacher and all. Then there is the kin. This picture is of my great grandma, Mary Cecilia, who was born on today's date, 120 years ago. She lived to be 99, and I remember her birthday parties well. All my mom's aunts would come in from all over the country, and I would be reaquainted every year with many cousins, and second cousins, and first cousins one removed, and my great aunts would sing in 4 part harmony around the piano, and then we'd all take family pictures. One of my great aunts, Mary, is actually named Mary Cecilia also. My dad also has a first cousin named Cecilia.
Don't ask us about nicknames, because John also had a student named Cece that he didn't care for. I figure, we call Melissa, Melissa, and that is three syllables, no reason why we can't call Cecilia Cecilia.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • At 12:26 PM, March 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great story about her name...sounds like you picked the perfect one! I don't know about John not liking eee's tho...:)

    I got to thinking about nicknames, just in case you get tired of saying those three syllables. You could always call her 'Cease'. And you might be saying that to her a lot after she turns two and starts pestering you with bad behavior 'Cease & desist!' Just a thought.
    Cheers,
    Katieeeeeeeee

     
  • At 3:50 PM, March 11, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope you put a copy of this in her baby book- --Amanda

     
  • At 9:19 AM, March 12, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    explain to me sometime what cousins once removed are, i've never understood that...
    and i like the story about her name a lot too, it's perfect for her, she will no doubt grow to love music in your house, just like when she was bobbing her head to the music yesterday at my house. she's already brilliantly talented! becky ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home