happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Friday, November 19, 2010

My Story's Infinite.


We took a family vacation this year to Myrtle Beach again. I just realized I never shared any of my photos of that trip with you. Nablopomo back in full strength!

One of the highlights of the trip was our Girls Day. The boys go deep sea fishing every year, and this year the girls went horse back riding on the beach. We went to the Inlet Point Plantation. We rode on their own private island, it was magical and memorable. I rode a thoroughbred named Roxy. She was beautiful.

Although I am happy to share with you our ride on the beach, I have been avoiding telling you about my own steed, Shadow. I got him for my birthday when I was 15 or 16, when most kids were thinking about cars, I was in my hayday of horse riding. We just rode around the farm, but I could spend hours with friends riding through fields, up and down hills, through creeks, back to the pond. He was an excellent horse, not too much attitude, although he would pick up his step when you turned him around towards the barn. On the Saturday evening of Labor Day weekend this year he fell down in a creek, and couldn't get back up, he had hurt his left hip. By Sunday morning he was up and out of the creek on his own accord, and then by Sunday afternoon he was back down on the ground. Dad, Lesa and I spent most of Monday trying to get him back up, and you could tell he wanted to, but he was just too old, and too hurt. He died on that Tuesday, September 7th, 2010. I do miss him, I did love him. Now there are no horses at the farm, first time in my lifetime. There is no livestock on the farm at all, just dogs and a slew of cats. I don't picture the rest of my life without a horse, and although it won't be soon, I am looking forward to the days I'm back on top of a horse and I can feel 15 again and remember my old friend.

I didn't talk about Shadow much on this blog. As he got older, we rode him less and less. I did have some links on the winery blog, here, here, and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home