happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Man's Best Friend

My mom's dog, T. J. died. We can't remember when we got him for sure, but he was at least 12, which is old for a big dog like a collie. I named him after Thomas Jefferson. We took a family vacation that included Monticello, and ever since then I've been intrigued by Thomas Jefferson.

T. J. was a good dog. Very timid, very gentle, very obedient. My mom always loved collies, altogether I think we had 4. He has seemed old for a couple years now. We kept saying, "if he makes through this winter, he'll be o.k." Then spring would come, and we'd shave all his hair off, and he'd look like a fawn, and we'd say, "if he can just make it through the summer." I guess this was the winter he couldn't make it through.

There are things that I still have that were my mom's or my mom gave me that I cling to, and insist on using and loving even though they have lost their prime. I have a sleep shirt that I can't part with, a dish scrubbie that doesn't scrub much anymore. I clung to T. J.'s life with much importance. He probably never got the love and respect he deserved. Maybe mom can take care of him now.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home