happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Monday, June 26, 2006

These Are The People In My Neighborhood

So, I'm at Home Depot by myself. I'm looking at the drill bits. I have no clue about drill bits. There's an african american man standing next to me, with his friend, and he's complaining loudly about this drill bit he bought that won't go through stainless steel. He asks me if I know anything about drill bits. I fall right into his trap. I say, "no, but do you think this drill bit goes with this size nail?" He says, "yes." He says, "see, my problem is I buy this drill bit, but it doesn't work." I say, "maybe you should try a different brand?" He says, "I don't care if it's booty brand, I just want it to work." That's awesome. I start to laugh, and he apologizes for using the word "booty." I can imagine I'm really blushing, but I'm still laughing. Then he asks me what I do for a living? He guesses I am in the medical field. Take that guy way back when I had the Dresden doll outfit on who said I couldn't be a doctor because of the way I dressed! I said I was a winemaker. He said he was a chef and gave me his card.

I used to think all the african american guys were aggressive. I can hardly go to the grocery store without someone saying something. We have actually switched grocery stores because of this. When a black guy tells you you have a nice ass, that's a clear cut sign you need to go on a diet. But maybe they are just friendly. Being at Mizzou was my first real exposure to more than one black person at a time. I was always amazed at how they kept to themselves, and I was also amazed at how they all seemed to know each other. Maybe we should all be so friendly. Maybe our world would be much smaller then.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:38 PM, June 26, 2006, Blogger happylaney said…

    Thanks!

     
  • At 12:35 PM, June 27, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    elaine,
    your insight on things never fails to amaze me, or make me laugh. i'm sorry to say though, i still think all black men are horny, there's NO way i should have been getting hit on when i was 275lbs & 8 months pregnant on metrolink, not once, mind you, but twice, on the same day. long story, nevermind. but i'm glad to see you being happylaney again on your happylaney blog. aaahhh...the ol' girls back! & the floors are beautiful!
    love ya!
    becky

     

Post a Comment

<< Home