happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Two Winter "Projects" Finished

So, I have lots to tell you, and lots of pictures to show, but lately not enough time in front of the computer. Since I have last blogged, a week ago today, a lot, I'm talking, a lot, has happened in my little neck of the woods. I have been to California and Indiana and back again and in between, but that's not what I am blogging about today. That will all have to wait until tomorrow. Today I introduce the newest member of my extended family, Norah.

She is Joe and Amanda's fourth child, and she fits right in to the beauty of their family. She also fits right in to my arms. ;) She let me hold her a long time on Friday, and didn't make a peep.

So, while Amanda has been working on Norah all winter, I've been working on a present for Norah all winter. I made my first quilt. It's a baby quilt, so it's small, and I didn't officially quilt it in the sense of sewing millions of little stitches to hold it together, but I did piece the top part together and the batting, and the back fabric. I chose all flannel because I know Amanda likes soft things. I placed all the little triangles together on the dining room table and took pictures to see how I wanted to pattern to look. This is the pattern I chose.

I liked it because the colorful fabric that I liked the best looked like pieces of candy with the green fabric looking like the ends that you unwrap.

It was hard to keep this project a secret from my blog, because I really wanted to share my progress. I spent many winter weekend days at the dining room table, trying to remember my mom's advice of "so shall you sew, so shall you rip."

John says I shouldn't tell you that all the corners don't match up perfectly, but it's my first one and I did the best I could. The flannel is thick, so it was hard to sew some of the pieces where a lot of fabric came together at one spot.

almost finished

finished



This is one of my better corners. I tied the three pieces (the top, batting and bottom) together with embroidery thread.


This is Norah on the quilt. The quilt looked small before Norah was on it. Now it looks like she will grow into it just fine. I guess I shouldn't say, "two winter projects finished" because even though my part is done, Amanda and Joe's job has just begun.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, April 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry - had some catchup work to do. If you guys feel the need to move to the city, I have a lovely home for sale. Watched the Triumph v. the Star Wars Geeks from beginning to end and although I don't discount the effect of the the 3 jack and cokes, it was f*#&$#&$ hilarious!!

    RSDG

     
  • At 9:58 PM, April 29, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    elaine,
    this is amazing, i'm so jealous. i think you did wonderful on your first attempt at quilting! i didn't even know you were so into it. little norah is very lucky to have such a loving aunt. i will be talkint to you soon!!! i need to talk about many new developments in my life too, and no, i'm not pregnant...

    becky

     
  • At 6:03 AM, April 30, 2007, Blogger happylaney said…

    Thanks, Becky.

     
  • At 11:55 PM, April 30, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elaine:

    We love the quilt and personally, I can't imagine giving something away that I had spent countless hours working on. Thanks for the wonderful gift - we are following your advice to use on a daily basis. It's perfect!

    Joe

     
  • At 12:53 PM, May 01, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    LOVE the quilt! It is perfectly soft and cozy- Hannah has taken to snuggling up with it on the couch when I'm not using it with Norah. It is really touching to have such a special gift. I've taken a lot of pictures of her on it and have bragged to everyone who has come over to see Norah that you made it!

    Not only did Elaine show up and give Norah this special gift- but the "Aunt of the Year" also shows up with a candy selection for the other kids, tasty lasagna, bread, salad and wine! Thanks, Elaine, for everything! --Amanda

     
  • At 9:47 PM, May 01, 2007, Blogger happylaney said…

    My pleasure. ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home