happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Killing Thyme


What! There's no baby in this picture! Craziness!
I have to tell you I think I grow herbs indoors pretty well. Last year I started a windowsill basil that lived over a year. Last summer I grew from seed more basil, chives, and thyme. I had so much basil that I planted some in my back yard and also gave some to Amanda. That basil is still alive in a pot in my kitchen. The chives died last week. I bought a parsley last summer at the farmer's market, and I am still pulling leaves off it. My biggest success, though, is my three Meyer lemon trees that I started from seeds. My uncle brought back some Meyer lemons from his house in Georgia last winter, and I did some research about growing Meyer lemons in Missouri. Turns out you can do it, and keep them in doors. I asked for a Meyer lemon tree for Christmas, and when I didn't get one last year, I stuck a few seeds in the same pot the windowsill basil was in last January. I kept looking for sprouts and saw nothing for weeks or maybe months. Then I forgot about them. When the warmer weather came in the spring, I found three little sprouts with shiny leaves. A year later, they are about 8 inches tall. I think it will be quite some time before I have lemons, maybe even a decade? That's o.k. I can wait. I'm just pretty proud that they actually grew.
Hopefully I can keep them alive; unlike this thyme that is dying. How much thyme can one (or two) (or three now) people really use?

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

  • At 9:09 PM, February 08, 2008, Blogger happylaney said…

    Anyone else think it's funny that I'm bragging about how great of a gardener I am, meanwhile this whole post is about the thyme dying?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home