happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Last Thursdays' Scare

I spend Thursdays at home now, just me and Dominic and some work.  We've had very few leisurely days like I envisioned, and last Thursday was no exception.  The morning went pretty typically, then around 9:30 a.m. he began to cry, and cry and cry some more.  He took a few naps, and woke up crying.  He ate a little, but cried during nursing.  That's when I knew something was wrong.  Around 2 p.m. I called the doctor, just because he seemed inconsolable and in pain.  They told me to bring him in at 3:45p.m.  So I texted John, grabbed the baby and headed to St. Louis.  Dominic cried the entire way. =(  Our favorite, best doctor ever took his temperature, which was 100.1, and sent us to the emergency room for some tests and bloodwork.  Doctors get real concerned when a baby less than 3 months old gets a fever.  So, at 5 p.m. we headed to St. John's Mercy's ER.  They saw us right away, which was nice, and put him in this little baby hospital gown.  Poor little guy.  They tested him for the flu and RSV viruses, and both of those came back negative.  Then they tested his blood and had a heck of a time drawing blood because he was dehydrated. =(  They gave him an IV of fluids and we waited for the blood tests to come back.  They were mostly testing for meningitis. =(  That would have been bad.  After many hours, they sent us home saying it was just a bad virus and to keep an eye out on him.  We got home at 1 a.m.  Dr. Molitor called on Friday, twice on Saturday and again on Sunday to check up on his little buddy.  He ran a tiny fever over the weekend, but seemed in good spirits, no more hours of crying, and ate well and slept well, and so did I.  I woke up Friday feeling like I had been hit by a truck, how exhausting for both of us.

Luckily he's all better now.  He's had a few colds already this year, we've had a pretty sickly winter, but the weather is warming up, the sun is shining, and I'm hoping the worst is behind us.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home