happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Sunday, November 27, 2005

Are You a Republican?

For as long as I have known my father-in-law, he has liked to play the "Are You A Republican?" game. He holds the record for the world's biggest republican. He thinks that since I was raised Catholic, I am republican too, he just hasn't convinced me of it yet. He thinks if he asks me the right questions, that I will one day realize that I have been republican all along. The game goes like this:

"Do you believe in the right to bear arms?"
"Do you believe in homosexual marriage?"
"Are you pro-choice or pro-life?"

The problem is, for as long as he has known me, I refuse to play his game. This just provokes him. Yesterday I was here alone with him, while John and his mom ran to the store. There was no escape.

The verdict? I'm still not a republican.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:20 PM, November 27, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Soooooo....What was the outcome??? Did you tell him to mind his own damned business...Or you could've really freaked him out and said something to the effect that you and John's boyfriend would be coming over soon and would love to meet him...Now THAT would get one hell of a reaction!!!!!
    Choo-Choo

     
  • At 8:48 AM, November 28, 2005, Blogger happylaney said…

    I politely told him that I think both the democratic and republican parties are dated and neither apply to me 100%. I like to judge people individually and don't want to be defined by one group or organization.

    I know he is just trying to get to know me, but it's easier to let him think that I could be republican than to answer all his questions honestly and let him know for sure that I am not a republican. In his eyes, there is a right and wrong answer to these questions.

     
  • At 2:53 PM, November 28, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good for you!!
    -Sally

     
  • At 8:20 PM, November 28, 2005, Blogger happylaney said…

    Now that I think about it, I gave him a pretty democratic answer. No republican is going to give you that "I love everyone bullshit."

     

Post a Comment

<< Home