happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Saturday, January 28, 2006

Rhone Ranger

I poured wine this morning at the St. Louis Food and Wine Experience and met one of my "heroes." His name is Randall Graham. He is a phenomenal winemaker, always on the cutting edge, sometimes over the edge. He is very intriguing, and creative, and eccentric. He is definently a purist. My friend, Ron, got a job with him right out of college and Ron was being polite when he said there was a lot of turnover at the winery. I met him once at Fresno. We invited him to our program to speak and do a tasting. He was so arrogant, and I was so disappointed. I remember asking him his opinion on Missouri wines and he gave some snide remark, and I was crushed. I thought he'd be into them, since they are so different than California wines. I knew he giving a presentation today, but I decided not to go, because nothing turns me off more than someone who is conceited. I like the idea of him more than I really like him.

When he showed up at my booth this morning, I gave him my best star struck smile (see February 2005 when I met the mayor.) I told him I am a huge fan, and he shook my hand very intensely. He tried three out of my four wines, and he gave me what mom would call "constructive criticism." One of the other Missouri winemakers came over, introduced himself, and tried to steal Randall away from me, but I gave the intruder a dirty look, and was happy when Randall didn't budge. He ended the visit saying he really liked the LaRose Rose, which has never been a flagship wine, but I think it might be my new favorite. =) He headed away from my table in the opposite direction of the guy who tried to wisk him away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home