happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Monday, August 27, 2007

Old Friends

My dad, and his wife, Lesa, are remodeling my dad's old farm house. It's not even going to look like the same house when they are finished. I know our family has outgrown the house, as far as holidays go, all 20 or so of us crammed around one Christmas tree, wrapping paper flying and piling so high I can't see my sister across the room. And I know the house needed updating, but it's hard to see all my mom's decorating ideas torn down, thrown away and/or burned. All the curtains she sewed, the wallpaper we hung, gone. To be honest, it breaks my heart.

Anyway, the real reason for this post is to tell you how excited I am to be reunited with my old friends, Glory and baby Glory. They have been up in the attic for way too long. I loved My Little Ponies as a little girl. I probably played with them longer than I should have. I can remember Sara and I writing a play in 5th grade and trying to get all our classmates to crawl around on their hands and knees and pretend to be Ponies for the play. Needless to say, our class never performed that play. I think 5th grade was a little too late for My Little Ponies. I can also remember a night when mom and dad were gone and Matt was supposed to babysit Sara and I and he invited friends over to drink beer and watch Animal House and Sara and I rented the My Little Pony movie. He didn't let us watch Animal House, but they stacked their empty beer cans high on the coffee table and Sara and I spent the rest of the night throwing superballs at the beer can pyramids.

The My Little Ponies are different now, none of the same ones we had are for sale anymore, except on ebay. My baby Glory still has her diaper on and her little necklace says B-A-B-Y in block letters, and Glory has some very (sad) 80's neon orange and yellow outfit with a tie and mesh accents. Used to spend hours brushing their tail and playing with the Dream Castle, and the Baby Bonnet School of Dance.

Memory is a way of holding onto the things you love, the things you are, the things you never want to lose. ~From the television show The Wonder Years

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

  • At 8:56 AM, August 28, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i'd keep that play & ponies. i think i know a little girl that will want to play that with you in a couple years...
    becky

     

Post a Comment

<< Home