happylaney

It's time to lose your mind and let the crazy out.

Thursday, August 09, 2007

You May Take the Field






If you are serious about marching band, like John is, then you know all about Drum Corps International. I, personally, had never heard of Drum Corps until college. Some of you, I would imagine, have never heard of Drums Corps. It is a group of musicians, I think their ages can be between 18 and 23, who get together during the summer to learn a show (similar to a halftime show at football games) and tour the nation in busses. John was in one in the summer of 1994 called Phantom Regiment. Every year we go to a show or two, this year and the past couple years we have gone to Columbia to see a show. And even though John and I see the same thing, we watch two opposite parts of the show. I, of course, watch the flaggies, since that's what I used to do. I hear the music and watch the flags twirl around to the music. I am always amazed at how "together" they are, their routines seem so hard, and there are so many of them. John, on the other hand, watches the marching, what shapes they make on the field, etc. He can also listen to drum corps shows on itunes all day. This is not for me. Niether is what he is doing tonight. Tonight is the World Championship Quarterfinals and they are showing it in select movie theatres around the nation. He is there with Mike, and they will continue to be there for the next 5 AND A HALF HOURS. I originally agreed to go; there are many bands I like, and John makes sure I am partial to Regiment. Personally, the videographer never shows me enough flags to make me happy on the big screen. I did have to decline once I heard how long the show was going to be, and thankfully he wasn't offended. Anyway, the pictures above are from the Columbia show. Good job flaggies.

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 6:15 PM, August 10, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YIKES! 5 1/2 hours! I think I'd go crazy, although the one in CoMO was enjoyable.
    -Sally

     
  • At 11:26 PM, August 11, 2007, Blogger Unknown said…

    If it helps, the movie theatre show is still in "real time", since it's live, so you've got plenty of down time between performances to hit the restroom (cleaner than a stadium, that's for sure), grab refreshments (lotsa lotsa popcorn -- YES!), and generally stretch the legs.

    All in all, not the awful marathon you'd expect, but a very pleasant way to see and hear an incredible show.

    :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home